Troubleshooting for ebooks
Hitting snags while trying to download e-books? Here are a few things to look for:
Have you got these free software packages installed?:
This will allow you to read e-books on your computer. We recommend you go ahead and set up an Adobe ID (you'll create your own password and no, the library won't know what it is). This will allow you to log-in from up to 6 computers and mobile devices so you can read on whichever of these is handy. Your e-reader must be authorized with the same Adobe ID as your computer- don't forget to make a note of your sign-in email and password!
If you don't want to create the Adobe ID, you can read with "anonymous activation", but only on your computer. You will not be able to transfer to other e-book readers.
This is the one that will get you images and illustrations.
This is one of our main content providers. You'll need it for access to our latest e-books.
The Overdrive media console is also available as a free app through the App store.
If you're using Windows, Overdrive will require you to upgrade your security file to Windows Media Player 9 series (or newer). This should come up as an automatic requirement and the upgrade takes just a few minutes. Other systems don't require this upgrade so don't be surprised if you're not asked to do this.
Both the Nook and the Sony e-reader must be registered before you will be able to download books (but you probably did this the day you got one!).
Select your choice from our catalog and click on Download now. It's a great way to economically provide a wide range of e-books to you! Don't be surprised if you land on the OverDrive Central Texas Digital Consortium page, you're still logged in through the Salado Library and are fully authorized to check out books.
Go ahead and Add to Cart while you're browsing for books. This reserves your selections for 30 minutes. If you haven't checked out by then, the chosen titles are automatically returned to the catalog.
Proceed to Checkout when you're finished browsing.
When you're ready to Checkout, click Confirm Checkout, then Download. Once its finished loading, open and enjoy the book on your computer or transfer to your e-reader.
Transferring to an E-Reader
Using your USB cable, plug your e-reader into your computer. (By the way, you won't be able to read your book on your e-reader while it's plugged in to your computer.)
Click on the Adobe Digital Edition icon on your computer to open or transfer your book. Look for the e-reader device icon in the left hand menu.
Drag your e-book title to the device icon. (The red x will turn to a green when it is ready for you to drop the title in.)
Once the book has loaded, disconnect your e-reader. Use either the eject icon at the right of the computer screen or click My Computer, select your e-reader, and eject.
Special e-reader procedures
On the Sony e-reader touch screen, elect Books to select your title and begin reading
On the Nook touch screen, select My Documents to find the book you transferred.
Apple and the iPhone and iPad
Apple's iProducts will work with Overdrive but they require a slightly different download sequence:
- First make sure you have already downloaded the Adobe Digital Editions onto your PC and created your own Adobe ID. iProducts won't allow you to download this software but they will accept your Adobe ID (an essential part of the e-book download).
- Install Overdrive Media Console for iPhone/iPad on your device:
- To download from your iPhone/iPad device…
- Go to the App store.
- Tap 'Search' and search for 'OverDrive Media Console'. 'OverDrive Media Console' is displayed in the search results.
- Tap 'OverDrive Media Console'. The 'Info' screen is displayed.
- Tap the 'Free' button.
- Tap the 'Install' button. You are prompted to enter your Apple ID Password.
- Enter your password and tap 'OK'. OverDrive Media Console is installed.
- To download from your computer...
- To download OverDrive Media Console for iPhone/iPad from the App Store, click here.
If prompted, choose to allow the website to open iTunes®. Otherwise, click the 'View in iTunes' button on the 'iTunes Preview' page.
- iTunes opens and displays the OverDrive Media Console page in the App Store.
- Click the 'Free App' button. You are prompted to sign in to the iTunes store.
- Enter your Apple ID and Password and click the 'Get' button. iTunes downloads OverDrive Media Console. When the download is complete the app is displayed in the 'Apps' section of iTunes.
- Connect your iPod touch, iPhone or iPad to your computer. iTunes syncs your device and installs OverDrive Media Console.
- Authorize your OverDrive Media Console.
- Whenever you use a new computer or device for eBooks from an OverDrive-powered site, you will be prompted to 'Authorize'. Follow the instructions to complete the steps.
- A prompt will display the first time you download an eBook to OverDrive Media Console for iPhone®/iPad®.
- Enter your Adobe ID and password.
- Select 'Authorize'.
- Go directly to our Overdrive consortium site
- Make your book selection
- Click on Add to Cart
- Click on Proceed to Checkout
- Select Salado Public Library and log-in using your Salado Library user name and password (your library card number and phone number)
- Confirm Checkout
- Download. This will prompt you for your Adobe Digital Edition ID, open in Overdrive.
- Your book should open promptly. If it doesn't turn your e-reader off and on again.
OVERDRIVE FOR KINDLE FIRE
· Go to http://overdrive.com/software/omc/
· Click on the “Download OverDrive Media Console for Android from OverDrive” link to install the app (it is not available in the Amazon Market for the Kindle Fire).
· This will allow for the ability to download EPUB eBooks for reading to the OverDrive app or Kindle titles to the Kindle app.
To Install the app on your device:
1. From the Home screen, tap the “Quick
Settings” icon and select More.
2. Tap Device.
3. Turn the switch for “Allow Installation of
Applications” to the on position.
· When navigating to the library in the app, it will take you to the full site.
· You can checkout EPUB or Kindle titles.
· When clicking on “Get for Kindle”, the title can be sent to the tablet as long as there is an active WIFI connection.
E-books automatically fade away, returning them to the Library, after 2 weeks. You can delete the title anytime you want from your computer but if you want the credit for returning them early, just:
- Open Adobe Digital Editions
- Click on the book you want to delete
- Click on the triangle to the left of the book to open the Item Options menu
- Select return borrowed item
Come in, email (email@example.com), or call our Librarians! The phone is 947-9191. We're here to help every day but Sunday!